Myth: The Vietnam war was illegal and immoral.
- The US signed the Manilla Pact, which authorized the use of force to defend Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia against Communist aggression.
- Lawyers who have analyzed the war have determined it had a basis in the law of nations as well as the UN Charter.
- International Law recognizes the right of individual and collective self-defense against armed attack.
- International law recognizes the right of nations to come to the defense of allies who are under attack.
- North Vietnam had no legal basis to claim South Vietnam as its territory or "reunite" the country