Myth: After NVN "liberated" the South, everything went well and suffering ended.
Fact: After NVN "liberated" the South, millions of people died and the suffering still hasn't ended.
- "[What happened in Vietnam after we left] was nothing compared to the ongoing slaughter while we were occupying and fighting in Vietnam." - Howard Zinn Sept. 8, 2005
- "...what I'm saying is that yes, there will be some recrimination but far, far less than the 200,000 a year who are murdered by the United States of America" - John Kerry, Congressional Testimony
- At least 250,000 and possibly over 500,000 "boat people" died trying to escape Vietnam after the communist takeover.
- At least 200,000 and as many as 600,000 died in "re-education" camps after the communist takeover.
- 1.7 million were slaughtered in Cambodia as a direct result of the communist takeover of Vietnam.
- At least 100,000 Hmong were killed in Laos. They continue to be pursued by the Vietnamese government today.
- The Vietnamese government is still hunting down, harassing and killing Vietnamese Montagnards.
- About 2 million people left Vietnam to escape communism. They settled in countries all over the world.